top of page

Legal agreement: The clinic you will be rotating at may require a legal agreement between the clinic and your residency program. This is one of the earliest barriers you may face, as it could take up to 6-12 months for this legal agreement to go through. Once you know which clinic you will be rotating at, then you can get the process started to work with your program director and their legal team to create this affiliation. 


Licensure: If you will be doing an abortion training elective away in a different state, you may require a temporary license to practice medicine. This process can also be time consuming and difficult, so it is advised to start this process early. Communicate with the clinic you will be rotating with and they will give recommendations on how to initiate this process. 


Malpractice: You will be required to provide proof of malpractice insurance coverage, either by your residency program or individual purchase. If your residency program is unwilling to include abortion training on your malpractice insurance, then you can purchase it separately for a reasonable amount (approximately $150/week). Contact MSFC for specific information about which insurance company to reach out to. 

Funding: If abortion training is not offered in your town, it may be expensive to do an elective in a different city or state. If you apply through the Medical Students for Choice Training to Competence Externship, then you may be able to have some travel, housing, host facility, insurance, and transportation costs reimbursed at the end of your externship. Contact the organization you are doing your elective through and they may provide you with information about scholarships you can apply for to have the costs covered. This may be a long shot, but consider asking your residency if your CME allotment can cover any part of your away elective experience.

bottom of page